Friday, May 4, 2012

Still here, I see?

Yes, well, so am I.

Today I did not take any pictures, so you will get another post full of Unrelated Photographs.

Today I woke up late-ish. Tottered around. Made my way towards Angel's Costumier. They provide costumes for film, television and theatre (and what ever you want to pay them for) for a LOT of people.

Their credits include such little known films as Titanic, Hugo, Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Shakespeare in Love, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Gigi (yes, they're that old, and older).

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR UNRELATED PICTURE!!


HOLY CRAP IT'S A MOTHERFUCKIN' HERON.

That's what I said when I saw that, until I realized that it's really only BLUE herons that are rare to see, and this park was COVERED in herons. Literally. Like a carpet.

Stupid heron.

Anyway. Costumes. I found the place with relative ease. Had the worst cup of vending machine tea I think I've ever had.

Our tour guide was a small grey and pink sort of man with a neatly pressed blue shirt and glasses made entirely out of clear plastic perched upon his nose. He was very funny, but made me stop answering the questions he posed to the group because I knew all the answers and ruined the surprise. (In my defense, he WAS posing a question...)

The warehouse was AMAZING. Seriously. I thought of all my theatre friends and thought how envious they would be of their eight kilometers of costume rails. They have a whole ROOM of badges, patches, and buttons, and a separate room for all their military uniforms. Amazing.

TIME FOR ANOTHER UNRELATED PHOTO!


Don't worry. They're not real horses. Just statues. (At Camden Markets, what used to be a stable, or so I'm told. Strangely, there were horse statues EVERYWHERE.)

So if you can get in to do a tour at the Angels Costumier, I would definitely suggest it. They have some pretty cool stuff.

Our guide told us a secret about the Titanic flick.

Apparently they had made all these jumpsuits with the Titanic crew logo/words/whatever on the front, for the 'crew' of the Titanic to wear. So they wore them, ran madly around the starboard side of the ship.

Then they changed into ones with backward text, ran around again, and they flipped the film in editting and pretended it was the port side of the ship.

MAGIC.

So as the tour was coming to a close, I got to chatting with the only New Zealander in the group. She also happened to work in theatre, as a costumer, and confessed to me, rather embarassed, that her real passion was reenactment.

"Hey, I do that too!" I confessed.

"What time period?" she asks.

"Early 16th century Florence," I say.

"ME TOO!" she says.

Turns out she was a SCAdian from down under. Needless to say we rode back into London together and exchanged email addresses. (Lookit me. Overcoming my fear of strangers.)


UNRELATED PICTURE! (By luck of the draw you get an 'artistic' picture of a pigeon.)

After that I headed to Paddington Station (yes, there is a statue of Paddington Bear) and met up with Miriam and David and we took a train out of London and now we are in a town called Cheltenham Spa. There are apparently roman baths here.

Why do I always forget my bathing suit?

No comments:

Post a Comment