Monday, July 19, 2010

Trains and trains and trains

I didn't sleep at all. The combination of screaming children, incredibly cramped quarters, and perpetual sun made up for an entirely sleepless night.

Perhaps it was for the better. It means I will sleep well tonight, solid and heavy, and get my clock in sync with the one here.

My computer says it's 2:33am. The pressure in my head says something of the same. I can't tell if the air pressure here is just different, and my body is having a hard time adjusting to it, or the combination of no sleep and lots of nerves has given me a headache. My ears definitely hurt. I was having a hard time popping them on the plane on the way in. My left one especially. When it finally popped it sounded like someone squeezing the last little bit out of a ketchup bottle.

The houses here are fantastic. All brick, with tall, white framed windows. I was so pleased at the lack of beige developments that I might have exclaimed something to that effect as we flew over Manchester, much to the amusement of the woman sitting next to me. Mind, I suspect we are in an older area of Manchester. Things might be different elsewhere.

I am currently writing this on the train. It's a beautiful system, even if they don't have enough check in booths to accommodate the number of people travelling. Still, it was pretty quick getting through.

I haven't eaten since 'breakfast', when some three hours after serving us dinner, the lights all came on abruptly and the flight attendants went around throwing muffins at our heads.

(I'm sure that is not entirely true, but I think I still have a piece of muffin up my nose. Have I ever mentioned I hate blueberry muffins? Also cranberry. Terrible stuff.)

Oh yes. And I'm sick. Just a cold, but one of those snotty, sneezing ones. I blew my nose so much during the flight that, even though I nicked a bunch of Kleenex from Tyne, got a lot of toilet paper from the bathrooms in the airport AND on the plane, and kept every napkin I was given, I am still left with a soggy pile of tissues.

Seriously. Do the English have a fetish for brick? Not that I'm complaining; it's very beautiful.

Oh! Something pointy and lovely and brick in the distance! Don't know what it was, but it was pretty. A bunch of brick churches, a brick warehouse, a low brick wall all stained with soot from the old trains. And pointed, purple flowers growing right out of the brick.

The history here is overwhelming. If my panties hadn't already melted off at the Bon Jovi concert last week, I think they would be doing so now.

The train is the smoothest train I've ridden on since Vancouver. It really puts Calgary transit to shame, with it's rattling cars and constant hitting things.

And then bang in the middle of all that brick, a sprawling ten floor building of glass, very art deco.

I wish I had a watch. I should reset the clock on my computer, but I kind of like to be reminded what time it is at home.

My ears still hurt.

There are a lot of old brick warehouses here, with skinny, sparse windows, old company names repainted proudly even though the buildings themselves are obviously crumbling from neglect. Some of them have been repurposed, and their unbroken windows glitter as we flash past.

It feels weird to be the only one talking with a Canadian accent. Almost every man I've talked to since arriving has called me 'love' and winked, and I know it's as casual as me calling someone 'man' or 'guy', but it still leaves me flustered and a little weirded out. How will I deal with a month of it? Maybe it was just a localized phenomenon, around the Manchester airport.

I'm getting hungry, but I have no food. I have to do a change over in about half an hour, and hopefully I can find something to eat on the way between trains.

~

No luck on the food. According to the clock on my computer, it is now twelve to four in the morning. I can feel it. I mean, my body is telling me it's tired, but my brain is telling my body to shut up and stop being silly because OBVIOUSLY the sun is only in the late morning.

Stupid brain.

There is a fellow sitting opposite me with the most startlingly protruding ears, busily masticating a hard boiled egg sandwich to death with a set of the most terrifying teeth I've seen in recent years.

He keeps looking at me, too, like he wants to masticate ME to death.

He has crumbs on his shirt and I'm not sure whether I should tell him.

My brain is tired, too. I can tell because I keep forgetting what I just did. Like put away my camera, and secure my passport (it's in my money belt, don't worry).

England is, in two word, disgustingly quaint. All moist, rolling hills, verdant and abundant, with lambs capering merrily about. They don't seem to believe in fences here, unless they're made out of bricks or bushes.

Ah! More lambs! Seriously! I'm not kidding about the lambs!

Now as we're hurtling through the countryside, a brief glimpse of a village all in stone, surrounding a massive chimneyed factory, too fast for me to take pictures of. (And anyway, although I had reserved the seat by the window, some stony faced fellow is sitting there doing a crossword, and I don't want to disturb him. Ergo, I am sitting in the aisle, thinking daggers as his greying temples.)

(It does not appear to be working.)

My ears still hurt, and the fellow across from me still has crumbs on his shirt, but he's not paying attention to me anymore. He seems to have commandeered a newspaper from somewhere and is mouthing the words.

You know, he reminds me of a guy I dated in high school. I wonder what ever happened to that guy...

I think I'm going to do some other writing now and pretend there's not lambs capering alongside the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment